Monday 8 September 2014

LIPTEMBER CHALLENGE // DAY 4

Maybelline / Burt's Bees / Yes To Carrots

Today's post is just a quick tinted lip balm roundup, featuring the ones mentioned earlier, which you may or may not be familiar with. (Personally, I'd previously never heard of the one by Yes To Carrots!) As you may know, (if you've been reading along), I am particularly fond of tinted lip balms for everyday wear, as the provide a good dose of hydration, along with a hint of tint - something low maintenance that is 'just enough but not too much'. Keep reading to see a little summary of each...


1. Maybelline Baby Lips in Pink Glow

Opacity: This one comes out clear, then develops into a sheer pinky shade that is supposedly unique for each wearer, depending on their lip colour. On me, it ranges from a muted rosy colour, to a pink that's actually surprisingly bright (see Day 2 for reference). It's not very pigmented, but there is a slight wash of colour.

Hydration: It glides on with ease and is rather moisturising. It can leave my lips feeling dry if I don't reapply after eating and drinking.

Longevity: Because it is so hydrating, it doesn't stand up to eating and drinking very well (which isn't unexpected, anyway). It lasts for around an hour or two without eating/drinking.

Price: $3.95 for 4g

Other notes: This one has a pleasant, fruity scent. Also, I tried to swatch this, but it didn't show up at all on my skin.


2. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose

Opacity: This one is the most pigmented out of the three. In terms of opacity it's closer to Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters than a regular tinted lip balm, though it's not quite as pigmented, and on the balmier side.

Hydration: This one is quite hydrating, and provides lasting moisture over a decent period of time (it keeps my lips happy during work in an air-conditioned environment).

Longevity: It lasts surprisingly well through my shift (4-8 hours), even through eating and drinking if I'm careful.

Price: $15 for 4.25g

Other notes: It has a slight scent about it that is kind of difficult to describe - most probably due to the natural ingredients it contains - it's not quite a chemically scent, but it's not really distinguishable and it doesn't bother me, though it might bother some people. It can also get a bit 'melty' in warmer weather, which makes it a good pick for the cooler months. This one swatches better than the other two, which didn't show up at all.


3. Yes To Carrots Color Balm in Soft Plum

Opacity: This one also provides a sheer hint of colour that's very natural and barely perceptible (I could tell the different, but my mother couldn't!) It's slightly pigmented, but not more than your average tinted lip balm.

Hydration: It has a creamy consistency that has less slip than Baby Lips, and it does glide on with more resistance than the other two mentioned above. The oils in it can take longer to melt into lips especially in colder weather, and it makes my lips feel a little dry if I don't reapply frequently, or after eating and drinking.

Longevity: It lasts about an hour or so until my lips feel dry and I need to reapply.

Price: $6 for 3.3g

Other notes: It has the same 'natural ingredient-y' scent as Burt's Bees, which doesn't really bother me. As it is of a more solid consistency, it'd probably be a good choice for warmer weather, or you may need to stick it in your pocket to warm it up a little before application. I tried swatching this, and it didn't show up very well on my skin, either.


Overall, I think Burt's Bees is hands down my favourite, if not for the ridiculous price tag, compared to the other two. It ticks all the other boxes - Yes To Carrots doesn't quite compare, though it is a more affordable option. Maybelline is quite a good option, too, especially considering what you pay for. I've also got an unopened tube of the tinted version, Maybelline Baby Lips Loves Colour, that I've yet to try - perhaps that'll bridge the gap, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...


Have you tried any of these tinted lip balms?
Do you have a favourite? Please share! x

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think the price of Burt's Bees is what always keeps me back from picking something up from them despite all these positive reviews on it! But I think maybe when I tire of my Nuxe, I might give this a go since I've never really tried any tinted lip balms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balms are definitely on the pricier side - to some extent justifiable, but it's more of a splurge for a 'drugstore' lip balm when ones by Maybelline are so affordable. I'm totally regretting not buying another one during Priceline's 40% off skincare sale :( Though for a similar price, I'm pretty keen to try Korres Lip Butters!

      Delete